Monday, December 17, 2007

Fantasy world vs. reality?

So this past week I watched the movie, Miracle on 34th Street, for the first time and loved it. I was really intrigued by Brian the lawyer’s speech about faith and hope, and how even if something may not be “real”, why stop ourselves from believing in it if it makes us happy? He talked about how if the hope for something that may be considered to be an unrealistic fantasy brings a smile to your face, why suppress that? Why subject yourself to the possible bitter disappointment of so-called reality?

I admit that I sometimes live in a fantasy world. I often have high hopes and I tend to be a dreamer and an idealist. I try my best to make my dreams into reality, and although a lot of my dreams come true, some don’t. And because of that, I tend to get disappointed sometimes. So where is the balance? How do we embrace reality and avoid getting disappointed without losing the hope and magic of an idealistic dream?

2 comments:

Cougarg said...

I say if most of your dreams do come true, stick to you guns! Don't let a few disappointments make you think you need to "embrace reality". It's like our conversation about Wicked over on my blog. Elphaba "embraced reality" or what she percieved to be reality. She ran up against a wall and gave up. She thought her dream was a fantasy, but if she would have taken a wider view of things she would have seen a way around the wall that the Wizard presented. She could have found a way to be with Fiero, remain friends with Glinda, and fight for animal rights. But chose another path. I have a feeling her life after the curtain falls is not nearly exciting enough to further explore.

Live in fear of disappointment and merely exist. Dream and accept those disappointments as passing and truly live. From the look of your Christmas card, you live.

Jonny said...

This is an interesting question. I fight this internal battle a lot too. I don't AT ALL think you should abandon your dreams, but I DO think you should make room for the hum-drum of the steps it takes to get there.

I'm living my dream right now, but that doesn't mean every day is "magical." My husband isn't always helpful or romantic and my children aren't always clean or well-behaved, but I love it just the same!