Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Christmas memories

I have been tagged. But I’m switching it up a little and I’m going to share 6 of my favorite Christmas memories…

1. On my mission I got this brilliant idea of delivering “singing telegrams” to all the members of the branch for Christmas. (I was trying to think of new ways to get references.) We got the ward missionaries together and they went about caroling to the branch members. After the members got sung to, we invited them to send a singing telegram to all their friends. We made these cute little cards inviting them to church and the branch members signed it and wrote a little Christmas note to their friend. We then went about caroling to all the references and inviting them to hear more about the church. It was such a fantastic experience…more than one of the recipients had tears in their eyes and agreed to let us teach them. I really could feel the spirit of the love of Christ for those people that Christmas. That was my favorite Christmas ever.

2. In college, my roommates and I went to get a Christmas tree. We then proceeded to make a skit about getting our Christmas tree. The skit involved us reenacting the picking out of the Christmas tree in the “styles” of each of the four of us. Nattie=singing in the shower (we wore shower caps and sang the whole thing); Yajaira=ghetto style (we made the skit into a rap song) Bethany=Spanish (we did the skit in Spanish and held up signs with “subtitles”) Me=Reporter style (we all acted like reporters and held microphones up to whoever was speaking) It was so hilarious!

3. One Christmas Eve, we were at my Grandma’s house and the power went out—all night long. We couldn’t cook our Christmas ham or turn on the Christmas lights or anything, so we just ate salad, lit a bunch of candles and listened to Christmas songs on the battery-powered radio and sang and read stories while we curled up in blankets. It was so fun!

4. Wooden sleighs, elves and mistletoe.

5. My dad refused to let us kids get up very early on Christmas morning, and since my siblings and I could never sleep, we would all get together in my room and watch the neighbors open their gifts through the window. We disguised ourselves and used binoculars. We would also make “Christmas Eve Survival Kits” to help us get through the long night. And play Risk. We still play Risk on Christmas Eve.

6. I love shopping for and making Christmas gifts. It’s so fun for me to try and think of the “perfect gift” for everyone.

I tag everyone who stalks my blog and has never left a comment, and everyone else who wants to play along. :) If you don’t have your own blog, you can post your 6 memories in the comments section!

4 comments:

Jonny said...

Hooray for number 2!

caron said...

Those are lovely memories. I expecially love that you spied on the neighbors opening presents. I can just imagine....

Danielle said...

I love your memories!! Can I borrow some? :) I want to spy on the neighbors...I love spying. I especially love that you dressed in disguise; just in case they happend to notice you spying. :) LOVE IT!

rebekah said...

What a great way to get member referals. I wish I'd thought of that!