Sunday, August 26, 2007

One very cold morning on top of a very high mountain

We finally hiked Mt. Timpanogos this weekend! After planning it for over 4 months, I can't believe we finally did it. What a fantastic conclusion to the summer of hiking. We wanted to be sure and be at the top for the sunrise, so we started hiking about midnight. We made it to the top about 2 hours too early, so we waited in the little shack on top and nearly froze to death.
But I wasn't about to come all that way and miss seeing the view from the top in the light. You could see clear from Payson to Bountiful on one side, and then turn around and see Heber Valley on the other side. So I'd say it was well worth it.

If I would have known how blasted cold it was going to be, I would have come better prepared! We had to huddle under Dominique's emergency blanket and get real cozy to stay warm. Thank goodness for Kristi and Caron who were on both sides of me to keep me warm! I did get a terrible leg cramp under the emergency blanket at around 5:30 a.m. My leg happened to be on top of Kristi at the moment and she could feel the cramp...weird!

I highly recommend hiking in the dark. A) It was absolutely gorgeous! You could see the stars and the moon, and the moon's reflection on the granite mountainside was incredible. And the city lights were so cool to see from way up there. B) It wasn't hot. I can't even imagine hiking that in the heat of the day. C) You can't see how steep it is or how high you have to climb. (It was a 5,000 foot elevation gain.) D) You can't see the drop-offs...it's all just a dark abyss. E) Headlamps are cool.

It was totally worth it for this beautiful sunrise! Actually, the hike itself really wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The climb up wasn't bad at all. I felt great! The last 3 miles or so of the way down was what got to me. I was positive I was going to be immobile for a couple of days, but I am hardly sore at all. I honestly think that the whole hiking in the dark thing was what made all the difference.

I can't even begin to describe the incredible feeling I had standing on top of that mountain with a 360-degree view of my surroundings. I see those mountains every single day and I love them, but to actually be on top of one of them was truly an incredible feeling. I felt like I was on top of the world, but yet I also felt so small and insignificant. And as Caron would say, We made it! And we didn't die!

4 comments:

caron said...

I agree, night hiking is the way to go on this one. I am sure if I would have seen the progression of time by any other way than my watch, I would have croaked about half way up. It was a really good trail, though. Maybe in the millenium I will try it again....

Jared said...

Awesome!

Unknown said...

Glad I found this blog today. Enjoyed the read.

Here comes an invitation to visit my blog--this week if possible--as my "Spotlight the Youth" contest ends Friday, and lots of votes are needed to make it work. So please spread the word.

Thanks so much.

Melissa said...

I'm so sad I couldn't make it. Hiking Timp at night is the only way to go.