Friday, March 28, 2008

New job update

I would like to announce that I am now the proud owner of a UTA bus pass. I found out that there is an express bus from Sandy to BYU. It only takes me about 15-20 minutes longer to get to work than if I were to drive myself. AND I can actually do stuff (like read or sleep) during my commute instead of just waste time driving.

This will especially come in handy when I start up my graduate classes again in May. And the bus has wireless Internet connection for my laptop. How cool is that? And it’s not one of those ghetto city busses. It’s actually quite nice…with reclining seats.

And the best part…my bus pass is free! Since I am a student at the U, I can get an education bus pass for free. This is gonna save me lots of gas money, and not to mention that Chester (my car) will get a nice little break. What a great deal!

My new job is going really well. I am liking it a lot. I’m just so excited to be working in a job where I really get to help people and (hopefully) make a difference in their lives. The mission and values of where I work are things that I really believe in. My job is basically to train leaders so that when they leave college, they can go out into the world and make a meaningful contribution and make a difference themselves.

I specifically work with the Communications division of BYUSA. That means that I am in charge of the students who are in charge of all the marketing, PR efforts, publications, media relations, website, etc. that comes out of the BYU Student Association. Plus, I teach a leadership class and help out with the campus activities division as well. So far, I love it!

I love that I get to work with people specifically with the assignment to build character, teamwork, and leadership skills in them. And I love that I have the resources available to me to be able to do that. I’ve been encouraged to do what it takes to build good relationships with these students and really build a great working team, and that means I can take them to lunch, take them on retreats, etc.

I love that the fact that I get to play and get to know people as part of my job is so highly encouraged! In fact, this weekend we are taking the students on a retreat up to a cabin. With the sole purpose of having a good time and getting to know each other. Yesterday, the office staff went out to Thanksgiving Point for a good majority of the day to do the same thing.

I have also been told that I will have plenty of resources available to me to do the things that I want to accomplish with my students. Things like redesign the website, print new posters and brochures, have big recruitment events and efforts, and other really cool things. It’s so nice to actually be able to have what I need to reach my goals.

I also have a HUGE office. With a door that locks. And a table and chairs for meeting with students. And a big whiteboard. I really want to bring in a love sack or something. I’m really looking forward to decorating it and making it really cute and fun. And the best part….

I have my own temperature gauge. I don’t have to freeze and wrap myself in a blanket anymore! Oh, I am so happy about that. Anyway, I am just really excited about this new change in my life. So far it has been wonderful and I think it will be really great.

When we went to Thanksgiving Point, we went to this stained glass studio and got to see them working on the windows for the Draper Temple. How cool is that?! Here’s one of them in progress…

Anyway, I am just really thankful for these cool new opportunities in my life right now.

2 comments:

garrett said...

Wow. Hey, if a position opens up and you need a side kick or something, let me know! Sounds like a really fun job!

Mauri said...

Oh my gosh! It sounds like it was a great move. I'm so glad you're liking it! Perhaps you'll have to check out the latest CK to get some ideas for decorating your office (office?! I'm so jealous!).