Thursday, October 11, 2007

Mothers Who Know

Can I just say that I LOVED this talk from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints' General Conference by Sister Julie B. Beck (the general Relief Society president). If you didn’t get a chance to watch/listen to it, read it here because it’s absolutely incredible.

Here are some of my favorite lines: "The responsibility mothers have today has never required more vigilance. More than at any time in the history of the world, we need mothers who know. When mothers know who they are and who God is and have made covenants with Him, they will have great power and influence for good on their children. Who will prepare this righteous generation of sons and daughters? Latter-day Saint women will do this, women who know and love the Lord and bear testimony of him."

I have always wanted to be a mom, but this talk really inspired me to want it even more. And to prepare myself for that awesome responsibility and opportunity. What a privilege it is to be entrusted with a few of God’s children to teach and to raise up in righteousness. I hope that I can be prepared and ready for that responsibility when it’s time for me to have that role.

Sister Beck goes on to talk about exactly what it means to be a mother who knows. And I am going to strive to become that person. Even though I can’t be a mother right now, I can be a woman who knows. I've got a lot to improve on, but I know that I know. And that is powerful.

I also loved Elder Wirthlin’s talk on charity. (You have to watch it to get the full effect.) I loved this particular line: "Now, for us, the measure of our love is the measure of the greatness of our souls.” But what I loved most was the illustration of this principle in the loving gesture of Elder Nelson who got up to help when Elder Wirthlin was struggling.

Loved Elder Oaks’ talk on priorities, and Elder Condie’s talk on remembering the promises. Loved it all! Isn’t it great to have a living prophet and apostles? And isn’t it great to receive such awesome counsel every six months? I’m so grateful for the knowledge that I have of the restored gospel. What did I ever do to deserve to be a part of it? I’m so blessed.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I loved Sister Beck's talk too! What resposibility huh? It made me for sure want to do better. I missed Elder Wirthlin's talk, but Mike and my mom told me about it. Do you know what was wrong?

garrett said...

While this one didn't directly pertain to me, I thought it was a great talk, too. Sunday seemed to be all about great mothers! I just love conference.

Christy said...

I read that Elder Wirthlin was shaking because he had locked knees. They say he's really healthy though and doing great.