Sunday, September 23, 2007

The triathlon that wasn't

I regret to inform all those who participated in guessing my triathlon time that we do not have a winner. The race got CANCELLED because of bad weather. I am SO bummed about it. I have been working toward this for months, and to have it all go down the tubes because of the rain. It poured all day long, and so the race was cancelled.

Friday night before the race, we were all stoked! We loaded up our bikes, drove down to St. George, and got body marked. It was so fun to have my dad and three of my friends all geared up to do the race with me.

Emma thought Garrett had just gotten a little marker happy and written all over us, but this is official business here! (She thought the "S" on our legs meant "single" HA!)

Bro. Margetts, one of the counselors in my ward's bishopric even took us all out to dinner at the Pasta Factory so we could carbo load the night before the race.


Saturday morning we got to the race, and everything looked good. We saw a gorgeous sunrise as we were preparing for the first event--the swim. Caron and I were in the first heat, so we got down in the water and started warming up as we waited for them to blow the horn to start us off. We finally started and although it was pretty windy and choppy, I felt great. Well, about 5 minutes into the swim, it started pouring. I was still swimming my little heart out, determined to do well. And I did!

I finished the swim in record time! 18:41. I was amazed! I was expecting it to take me more around 25 minutes, so to look at my watch and see the number 18 was absolutely phenominal. Here I am after the swim feeling pretty darn good. Well, then I get told that the rest of the race has been cancelled because of the rain.

I was devastated! Four months of training and buildup for this day all shot down. Matt, Roy and my Dad didn't even get to start the swim. They had cancelled the race just barely after my group had taken off swimming and they wouldn't even let the other groups start. What a bummer! In fact, I am still pretty depressed about the whole thing.

A BIG thanks to our pit crew! I really have some fabulous friends. They drove all the way down to St. George to watch us race and help out, and they sat out in the rain to cheer for us and to cheer us up when the race got cancelled. They even marked their arms and legs with their official pit crew titles. Thank you Garrett, Emma, Rachael, Jill, Katie and Beth! And thanks to my family who also came to support us. And to the Margetts. You guys are awesome.

We had to do some heavy intervention to keep Matt alive after the sheer and utter letdown. He and Roy even shaved their legs for the event. Matt, are you still with us?

Instead of racing, we decided we had to do something fun rather than just drive home all depressed. So we went bowling. I got my best score ever of 155. That didn't make up for it though. What a depressing weekend. :( I guess it will be another year before I can say I am a triathlete. :( :( :(

9 comments:

Heather said...

I'm sorry to hear about the race...that totally STINKS! I'm glad you did so well on your swimming time though, that's got to be the hardest part!

Kristen Brady said...

How sad! Well, Shawn thinks you should all get your money back! Congrats on the amazing swim though - I wish I could have been there to cheer you on!

garrett said...

Wouldn't it be great if they DID give you guys your money back? Totally sad... but I am happy to report that Matt is still with us.

And you may want to check your tires for water... Matt's bike was so water logged that he had water in his tires!!! You may also need to clean and rust-proof your bike chain, etc...

Very sad you guys didn't get to compete, but it was a nice trip to get away from work and everything... There's always Vegas!

Christy said...

Umm...remember how MY bike was inside the car? I don't think the rain got inside my tires. I'm glad to hear that Matt is still with us.

Unknown said...

what a bummer! man.. and I know how hard you have been working on it. well.. great job on the swim?!

see you tomorrow!
Ana

Christy said...

We just got official word. They are not going to reschedule the race. They are just going to give us a discount on next year's race. :( :(

garrett said...

That is so sad! I hope that discount is in the vacinity of FREE. Nice pictures though...

Mauri said...

So sorry about the no-race situation. But I must say, you look simply stunning in your wetsuit!

Anonymous said...

That stinks! But what an amazing swim! And think how exciting next years will be!