Saturday, April 19, 2008

Tour de Salt Lake City

This morning, Matt, Caron, my Dad, my brother Kyle and I rode in the SLC Bike Marathon. It's so cool...you ride your bike along the marathon route. It was a lot of fun. Except for the fact that I had to get up at 4:30 a.m. Oh well.

Anyway, there were about 1500 bikers. We didn't even get to start riding until about 10 minutes after the official start time because we were inching our way forward and trying to spread out from the other bikers. They give you a time limit of 1 hour and 45 minutes to complete the race. (So you don't get in the way of the runners.) I am happy to report that I beat the cutoff by 7 minutes...finishing the 26 miles in 1 hour and 38 minutes.

Matt finished about a half hour before me...how pathetic am I! But at least I finished. It was so much fun. Here are some of the highlights:

-the old dude who had duct tape on the bottom of his pants to keep his pant leg out of his bike chain.
-the signs that said, "Spandex is happiness" and "I likey your bikey" and other random signs that were put out for specific people but no one was near them. (I think some people's friends didn't want to get up at o-early-o-clock to cheer them on so they just left signs.)
-the people who live along the marathon route who pulled their couches out on the front lawn and sat and cheered for us.
-the couple who rode a tandem bike in the race.
-the parents who had those little bike attachments for their kids to ride along with them.
-Spiderman, who ran the 5K.
-the trail mix they gave us at the end of the ride. Man that stuff was tasty.
-seeing the sun come up while riding along the route.
-riding through red lights without having to stop.
-the policeman golf carts.
-cowbells and horns.
-the people who kept commenting on my race number. (It was 123.)


Anyway, here we are at the end of the race. And yes, I am well aware of the fact that I look ridiculous. And no, I don't care. Congrats to Rachael and Emma who ran in the 5K. Well done! I love the SLC Marathon festivities...this is the third year I've participated (each year a different event) and I think I'm going to make it a tradition.

3 comments:

Debra said...

Christy! You look great. How are you?! I hope you don't mind me reading your blog... I found it through Caron's blog. Is that okay?

The bike marathon sounds like soooo much fun (and a lot of hard work)! Congrats on the time.

caron said...

I love how dead I look in both of those pictures :)
I would also like to add the good looking policemen and the down hill last half of the route. And the cow bells. More cowbell!!! Good times.

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

I thought you looked pretty sexy. In my opinion, ridiculous is the new sexy, otherwise I would probably never look HOTT.