Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I'm so official....HA!

Since I have an office now, I decided I could be official and be one of those cool, intelligent people who hang their diplomas up in their office. So I did. Except I still feel as overwhelmed and inadequete as ever as I am trying to figure out all this new stuff. But I love the challenge.

One of the many cool things about my job is that I get to meet lots of really neat people. Like yesterday, when I had the opportunity to meet two General Authorities of my church. Elder Kerr and President Samuelson. And I had the opportunity to be instructed by them. I learned some really cool things from these great leaders. Elder Kerr talked about how we should develop one new proficiency each year and how our success is determined by how we facilitate the success of those around us.

He shared a quote by Jeffery R. Holland that I really liked. He said, "We can't do everything. But what we choose to do, let's do it superbly well." I need to remember that. I don't need to do everything, but I can do a few things well. He also shared the scripture Romans 5:19 which says, "For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous." He reminded us the incredible influence we can have on others--for good or for bad.

Even though I am extremely overwhelmed with all these changes in my life, I am really grateful for the learning opportunities that I have been provided with.

Oh yeah, and I constantly get mistaken to be a student instead of an administrator. I don't know whether or not that is a compliment. (Like I look too young to be so smart and professional or I look too much like I don't know what the heck I'm doing to be an administrator.) That usually happens at least once a day.

1 comment:

Mauri said...

It was great to see you today! I wish we could have chatted more. How did your all-important luncheon go (since I'm sure it was way more important than just a "lunch"). Love the new addition to you office, and don't worry. I'm sure you're inspiring those little hooligans (read: BYU students) every day.