Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Great Chicago Caper

My fourth annual Halloween murder mystery was a big success, if I do say so myself. I didn't have time to write the mystery this year, so we used one from How to Host a Murder. It was a 1920s gangster theme, and it was so much fun! I loved how much everyone got into their characters.

We had a lovely dinner of Chicago-style pizza.

And of course we had to have lots of fun drinks. And drink out of elegant glasses. I found these really cool sparkling cider things that were so much fun to open. They made a really loud sound when you popped the cork. And we had plenty of "moonshine," (apple) beer, and "bathtub gin".

Garrett kept using a peanut as a cigar...it was hilarious!

I transformed the basement into a 1920s speakeasy. Everyone had to enter through the back door and give the secret password to get in. I made this really cool city skyline and night sky out of butcher paper and put Christmas lights behind it so it would look like stars. I also made silhouettes of dancers and jazz musicians. I had my cousins, Hope and Emma, dress up and pose for the silhouettes so I could trace them.

I used all of Kyle's musical instruments and their cases as props. And then I just put beads and feather boas everywhere and made some "bead curtains" with streamers. And of course we had the fog machine to create a smoky atmosphere, and we listened to some fabulous jazz tunes. I thought it turned out really well and created a fantastic ambiance for the party.

Here are all the fabulous characters. We had Eddie R. Gyle (Matt), Torchy (Rachael), Billy 'The Kid' Thrower (Josh), Silky M. Adam (Anne), Molly M. Awbster (Emma), Adelaide Banks (Bekah), Ernest G. Ambler (Garrett), Clara S. Uffridge (Alison), Scoop (Caron), S. Treighton Harrow (Darin), and Boots Legger (me).

Anne and Emma kept referring to this paper they had of 1920s lingo and used the slang words every chance they got. It was hilarious! And Darin had printed out "files" on everybody and carried them around in this briefcase. And Matt kept speaking in a British accent. It was great. And everyone's costumes were fabulous. Anyway, it was a blast. I always have so much fun with this party every year.

11 comments:

Heather said...

Looks like a GREAT time...I lovev the How to Host a Murder cases. I love all the costumes people wore! :)

garrett said...

Well, little did I know that Ernie is never without this super-expensive cigar of his, so I had to make use of what I could!

Great party, Christy. It was awesome!

Danielle said...

Wow! You are so creative and talented. It looks like a good time was had by all. I love the decor.

Anonymous said...

I would like to take this opportunity to declare my INNOCENCE once again! I am, after all, not going to rest until I expose every criminal in this town!

Good job, Christy, it was good times.

Kristen Brady said...

Looks like so much fun! Way to go on the costume this year! It's fantastic!

Mauri said...

Everyone looks great! I love the basement decor. It looks like it all turned out perfectly!

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Looks like it was tons of fun. I'm glad you used my idea for a smoke machine. And it's okay if you didn't write your own. All that matters is the fun that was had.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Christy! That was a great party! How sad-I tried to be the murderer, but killed the wrong person. Oops!

Anonymous said...

I am doing the same story for my 13th birthday. You gave me sooo many great idea's. Thanks!!!

jillian said...

Hi. Your party looks like it was lots of fun! i found this exact murder mystery at a yard sale and we had got it all ready and realized we were missing two secret clues!! we are missing Earnest secret clue and "Silky" secret clue. my email address is envyofgreen@gmail.com if you get this and wouldn't mind passing on the info!! thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I COULD USE YOUR HELP>>>> i bought the same kit years ago, but we never got a chance to play it before "life" made us forget about it... i just came across it again and was trying to host a dinner with friends but it was so old it was a tape recording, yikes... found an old tape player but both sides of my tape are the intro and the phone call from Hal Carpone.... any chance you still have a recording and could email the last two recordings to me? i was really looking forward to finally using this game and now this, ugh.... ive been trying to reach the company decipher.com but no luck so far, so i'm grasping as straws to find the recordings, thanks anyway, the night looks like a blast, tim lucas lucas@ntelos.net