Friday, July 13, 2007

Some things lost…some things gained

So, most of you that have known me awhile have probably noticed that I’ve lost a lot of weight in the past couple of years. I’m still about 15 pounds from where I’d like to be, but it definitely feels great to be 40 pounds lighter than what I once was. Even though this is pretty disgusting, I’m posting these before and now pictures in hopes of motivating myself to lose those last 15 pounds. (Don’t say I didn’t warn you about the upcoming content.)

I’ve been fighting with those last 15 pounds for the past 6 months—why is it so hard? You’d think after being successful at losing that much weight already I would know how to do it. But alas…the 15 pounds remain. (Hopefully I will be able to post the “after” picture sometime in the near future.)

However, I have gained A TON in the process that I hope will stay with me the rest of my life. And even if I never shed those 15 pounds, I am most definitely a healthier person—and THAT is what matters. So I’ve decided to share some of my discoveries.

1. I learned that I really like broccoli. And zucchini. And squash.
2. I learned to like running. Even when it’s freezing cold outside.
3. I learned that I can run for 13.1 miles and not die. (even with mono)
4. I learned that I CAN do hard things.
5. I am currently in the process of learning how to swim and play tennis. And it is FUN!
6. I learned that 2007 is the summer of hiking. And I’m going to hike Mt. Timpanogos at the end of the summer. And I’m going to make it to the top!
7. I signed up for a triathlon. Bring it on!
8. I learned that I don’t really love French fries. Or soda. Or potato chips.
9. I learned that I still really love baked goods. And ice cream. And that is OK.
10. I learned that it’s really expensive to have to buy a whole new wardrobe because you have shrunk out of all your clothes.
11. I learned that it’s worth it to buy a whole new wardrobe because you shrunk out of all your clothes.
12. I’ve learned how to cook using more whole foods instead of making things out of a box or a can. And I’ve learned that it’s so much more tasty that way too.
13. I learned that I have collar bones!
14. I’ve learned that you don’t have to be a diet nazi or deprive yourself of social encounters to be more healthy.
15. I learned that I CAN get up at 5:30 a.m. to work out if I really want to.
16. I’ve learned that the iPod is only one of the greatest inventions ever made.
17. I’ve learned that you don’t have to be perfect all the time. And that becoming who you want to be doesn’t need to happen overnight. And that is OK. It’s in the process that character is discovered.

I don’t really talk about this subject very much at all. I think it’s mostly because I don’t want to draw attention to it. I also think it's partly because I'm afraid of failure...and if I were to fail then at least no one would know I was even trying. But maybe getting it out in the open is just what I need for the final stretch.

3 comments:

caron said...

You are a brave soul for making this post.
Good job, though. Your collar bones inspire me :)

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Christy, you are amazing. I didn't ever think you were overweight, but what really matters is that you are happy and healthy. I wish I could be more in shape. You rock.

Anonymous said...

Good work! You are looking fabulous! I just discovered your blog when I was at granny's yesterday and it was fun to read about what is going on with you!