Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Way to Be

Wow. What an incredible example of what it means to be a great man and to truly live life to its fullest in the service of the Lord. President Gordon B. Hinckley has been the prophet of my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for the past 13 years. And he passed away last Sunday night. I feel so honored to have come to know and love this amazing man, and be a recipient of his love, teachings and leadership. I truly feel that I have become a better person because of his example. And I know that the world is a better place because he was here. What a great example of a true disciple of Christ.

Being involved in the media industry myself, I was always intrigued by his interest and actions in the media. I enjoyed watching him raise awareness of the church and our values through his many media appearances and endeavors. I love his books, Way to Be and Standing for Something. They focus on being and doing and becoming. And President Hinckley was a true example of that. He was always working and improving and progressing. I love that about him. He worked so hard right up until the very end of his life. He never slowed down. He was always on fire. That is something I aim to emulate.

I loved his ability to interact with people. He was comfortable with anybody in any situation. You could feel his love and charisma radiating the moment he entered a room. You could tell his smile was sincere and he had a twinkle in his eyes that just screamed love. His caring and humble personality shined through in every situation. I loved his ability to connect with people of all ages and in all circumstances of life. I love that he made the effort to allow the members of the church the opportunity to see the prophet in person and also how he focused on bringing the blessings of the temple to all members of the church around the world. Having lived in a foreign country, I know that both of those things mean a lot to people.

I’m amazed at the growth of the church these past 13 years under his leadership. I know that his talents, skills, ideas and simply who he was are truly preparing us for the future. I will miss hearing his powerful talks, seeing his cute smile, smiling at his witty remarks, watching him wave his cane around, seeing him enjoy every moment, and learning from his words and his example. But I am happy that he is now in a better place continuing his wonderful work.

And soon I will have the opportunity to sustain a new prophet. And I am looking forward to what the Lord has prepared to teach us through him.

Thank you, President Hinckley for your incredible example. It will not be forgotten.

1 comment:

musicgirljen said...

It was a shock to hear of his passing, but it's wonderful that he can finally be with his wife again. And the number of temples built over the past thirteen years is phenomenal: http://www.lds.org/temples/chronological/0,11206,1900-1,00.html. He truly was an amazing person.