Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Wild boars and roasted pig

Happy Chinese New Year! We had great fun parading the wild boar dragon around Provo.... ...and eating Chinese food and performing some Chinese fire drills. We even took the dragon to the bowling alley. Good times.

Oh, and here is the piggy dragon tail that Caron made. That is me bringing up the rear. :) This is actually the first year that I was able to attend the annual celebration. Man, I really have been missing out!

It was a busy weekend. We also hosted a luau for about 180 people. I love my church calling. I just get to plan big parties and have lots of fun. Aloha!


So, Sunday is Lent. 40 days ‘til Easter. I know the Lent tradition is to give something up for the 40 day period. I am all about traditions, but what is the point of this? Honestly I have never understood it. I know about sacrifice and all that, and if it’s going to be good for you to give up whatever it is then I’m all for it. But, what is the point of giving something up just for the sake of giving something up?

For example, in the mission, our district leader told us we should sacrifice something every week. Like not reading your mail. What is the point of giving up your mail just for the sake of sacrifice? I can understand giving up something like getting up a half hour earlier so that you could study more or something like that. That makes sense to me. But I just don’t get it. If anyone can shed some light on the subject for me, that would be super.

So my brother who is on a mission in New Orleans had to leave the city for 3 days because of Mardi Gras! Funny huh?!! He said when they came back to the city, there were beads and stuff everywhere. OK, I’ll confess that one of my secret dreams is to see a Mardi Gras parade someday. I just think it would be so cool to see the masks and feathers and floats and all the bright colors.

2 comments:

caron said...

What a pretty PINK tail.

Anonymous said...

That pig tail is pretty cute!