Monday, June 16, 2008

China Wrap Up


OK, so here's the wrap-up from China. On our second to last day there, we took a 5 hour train from Beijing to Chengde, which is a town near the inner-Mongolian border. We slept most of the train ride there because we had only gotten 3 hours of sleep the night before, but I did wake up for a few minutes to see the beautiful Chinese countryside.


When we got to Chengde, we went straight to this Tibetan temple that is supposed to resemble the one in Lhasa, Tibet. It was really pretty.


I finally got brave enough to gong the gong.


And we climbed more stairs. Here is April and me in the gong tower.

The monks were wearing these cool cowboy hat looking hats. Dane told them that he was a cowboy too. And those big cylinder things are prayer wheels. You run down the line of prayer wheels and spin them in a certain direction. Interesting.
I really liked Chengde. It was smaller and prettier, and we could actually see the blue sky. What a trip of a lifetime! China had never been on the top of my list of places I wanted to see, but when the opportunity arose for us to go, I couldn't turn it down. And I'm so glad I went.

No comments: