Monday, February 11, 2008

Gong Xi Fa Chi

We had a lovely Chinese New Year celebration this past weekend. It was much less high-strung than past years, but we had a lot of fun. This is the dragon that Caron made...isn't it great? It didn't get finished in time though, so we were unable to parade it around town. Next year though.

We made sure to bow to the Chinese God of Luck so that 2008 will be full of good luck for each of us. We also made some Chinese New Year's resolutions. Of course we had a delicious feast of Chinese food. I even made some healthified Chinese chicken that turned out really well.

We played Chinese checkers and made some Chinese fighting stars and various other pieces of origami. (OK, so origami is Japanese, but who's keeping tabs?)

We also did some Chinese brush art painting. Good thing my brother Kyle gave me a Chinese brush art calendar for Christmas so we had something to go off of.

Some people were just really good at painting. Look at this cool tiger Bill painted...

Others of us struggled a bit. Here I am with my painting. In case you can't tell, it's supposed to be some Chinese mountains and flowers. :)

Anyway, it was a lot of fun. We ended the evening by watching the movie, Ratatouille, since it is the Year of the Rat. Gong Xi Fa Chi!

4 comments:

caron said...

wow. that dragon has some serious problems. :)

Cougarg said...

"Consummate V's! I said consummate! You wouldn't know majesty if came up and bit you!"
- Strong Bad Email: Dragon

I have the tiger up on my 'fridge. Ever since I took my first art class 10 years ago I have really liked waterco...I mean, Chinese Brush Art, but I had kind of forgotten. Thanks for reminding me how much I liked it, I think I am going to buy myself some equipment today!

The Bentley's said...

hi christy! what a small world and a fun way to keep un touch! looks like a fun party!
linds

Melissa said...

You are the queen of this sort of thing.