Thursday, March 22, 2007

Checkmate

Do you ever feel like you’re in checkmate? Like every way you try to move or take a step, you can’t because you’ll just get slammed? I feel really “stuck” in my life right now—like everything I try to do is faced with not just a detour, but a complete barrier.

In chess, when you’re stuck in checkmate, the only option you’ve got is to realign your pieces and start a new game. But you always have the knowledge and experience from each previous game to be able to look at different strategies and moves for the next round until one day you finally win. I think it’s time for me to realign the pieces of my life and start a new game—hoping that the next round will take me one step closer to winning.

I went to go see the play Little Women last night, and as the play progressed, I found myself really relating to Jo. She had something amazing inside of her that was just bursting at the seams trying to find the right outlet for it to emerge. And it only came out after she went through a lot of heartache. I mean, she got rejection after rejection from publishers, her best friend married her sister, she missed out on Europe, her other sister died. But only after all that was she able to find herself and her voice. And because she was able to find herself, she reached her dreams and published a great novel and opened a school.

Sometimes I feel like I’m bursting at the seams. Like something fantastic is just screaming to come out, but it just hasn’t found the right outlet yet. I hope I can find my outlet soon because sometimes I’m afraid I’m just going to explode before that happens.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The potential of a pawn is only known to the one sitting behind the pieces.

caron said...

I wish I knew more about chess so I could say something about it. But I really am convinced that life is more exciting when played as a game-- almost any game. Dodgeball springs immediately to mind.
And I also think that feeling akin to Jo is the rule rather than the exception (or it should be). If one does not feel like something is about to burst out of them for the world to see, then they are not shooting high enough in thier goals and expectations for themselves. I'm not saying I want to be frustrated all the time, but being content at 26 leads to boredom at 30. But that's a personal opinion :).

Melissa said...

I usually relate to Jo as well; but when I saw this production, she seemed tiresomely melodramatic and shrill to me. (vs engagingly creative and energetic) And she was always talking AT THE SAME INCREDIBLE DECIBLES. Plus, none of the music was particularly memorable.

Sorry to go all theater critic on you. I hope you're not related to the lead (The fact that there were 2 casts might save me). I guess I just came away with a slightly different take on the same experience--wishing for a Jo with more emotional range, one content to sing more striking melodies, even on the chance that she would be the only one to ever hear them.

Melissa said...

Or, in other words, I think you're pretty blasted remarkable just the way you are.