Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Single Awareness Day

On this February 14, I wrote an original Valentine’s Day poem to share:

Roses are red
Bananas are yellow
One of these years
I'm going to catch me a handsome fellow.

So, today I'm celebrating yet another Single Awareness Day. I used to hate Valentine's Day and envy those who got a bunch of roses delivered to school or work from their honey. But I'm reminded of the year I started to like this wonderful holiday. It was when I was in college, and my roommate Teri and I decided to throw a fabulous Single Awareness Day party for all of our fellow SAD celebrators. Our slogan was, “You can’t come with a date, but you might leave with one!” It was such a hit that the following year, we had requests for a sequel months in advance.

Or, what about the year I had two Valentine’s Day dates? That was a good one, too. My friend Tim, his roommate Jon, and I all decided to go out to dinner to celebrate this festive holiday. We sat in the middle of the restaurant surrounded by couples celebrating their love and spent the whole night making fun of the cheesiness all around us. It was hilarious! Then, within a few days after, both of them called and asked me out using the line, “I felt jipped that I only got half a date for Valentine’s Day.” So, not only did I get two dates for the big holiday, but I got two follow-up dates as well.

So, Valentine’s Day or Single Awareness Day, whatever you want to call it…have a happy one!

6 comments:

caron said...

That is a great poem-- I feel inspired! I'm spending my Valentines day night "loving" myself: a chick flick and a pedicure. Good times

Melissa said...

Wow Christy, I'm so impressed with these stories. It looks like you have quite the record for memorable Valentine's Days. Thanks for making mine with that super-cool card. It was like getting my very own private blog post from Christy. And some string cheese. I loves it.

And now, for your viewing pleasure:

Evening. Black, bookhand
letters wing their way to you.
Valentine haiku


Word verification: niczo
Sounds like the opposite of ncmo, kind-of appropriate for my Valentine''s Day.

Anonymous said...

An original poem....

V-very
A-adorable
L-lovely
E-exciting
N-nice
T-timely
I-interesting
N-never
E-ending

Christy said...

Yay! Stephen is now inducted into the blogger commenting world.

Melissa said...

Hey, I feel shafted. What happened to your poem, Becca?

Anonymous said...

Christy , esa foto del avion , es de BsAs ? Solo queria saber